Sunday, January 30, 2011

WHAM!!!

I am a lucky person. February 26, 2010, brought us a Category 3 spring snowstorm, with 18 inches of wet snow followed by 2 inches of rain, & it proved too much for the old barn I'd used for a shop these last 16 years. I had to get the snowthrower out of the barn to clear the end of the driveway to get to work (see the path in the pics) and then I put it away in the barn. We figure it came down about 2 hours later. Sherrie called me at work to tell me the news just about the time we were all sent home due to the weather. If the day had worked out a little bit differently, I could easily have been killed. Lucky, lucky, lucky. Not only lucky to not have been crushed, and to have a wonderful wife who loves the Bus just as much as I do, but also lucky to have good friends like Andy & Sue, who came over to help us rescue my tools & equipment. It took about 3 weeks to get everything moved into a new space in the barn next door, & get a tarp hung over my new shop. Incredibly, nothing I really needed was permanently damaged, & the snowthrower came through without a scratch. Also, I had a space nearby to move into. To review: No livestock were involved, no one was hurt, the Bus wasn't in there, & I was able to rescue my tools. My son & his friends helped us move huge piles of debris & junk. Everybody pitched in; one of our cats provided comic relief that day by getting stuck in a milk bottle carrier (Yes, I got her out). I continue to salvage wood & peck away at the debris. We're about to order our 3rd dumpster. Lucky, lucky, lucky. Any day you're not crushed by a barn is a good one...

No comments: