Saturday, April 17, 2010

Bowman Lake - First Trip With "Barn" Engine

Bowman Lake , in August '09, was our first camping trip with the refurbished "barn" engine. We made reservations a couple of days early, & brought our Kia Rio ("Smurfette") as a chase car, just in case. We took advantage of the extra days, & took Smurfette on a trip to the Ommegang brewery in Cooperstown. Mmmmm.... Beeeer...... Later, with the Empire VW Camping Club, we went to the classic car museum in Norwich, & saw a lot of really cool old cars, tractors, & machinery. I tried to cram myself into a Model T, with mixed success. I think people were smaller then.. One of the cars, the 1930 Franklin (air cooled, built in Syracuse) belongs to a friend of ours. Hi, Hank! On the way back, we stopped at the Petrified Creatures Museum in Richfield Springs, where I grubbed around in a fossil pit for an hour & a half in rain showers & broiling sun. Sherrie , quite wisely, read in the shelter of a pavilion, & expressed amazement at every obscure piece of rock I brought her. Somewhere here, I'm staring at a fairly well-preserved trilobite, but I have no idea where the closeup pic got to. Gotta love those neon dinosaurs... Eventually, even I'd had enough of the fossil pit, & we headed home. both Putt-putt & Smurfette made it home without incident. Not even a hiccup out of the "barn" engine.

No comments: